View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:22

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Dev Entry - 07/08/13 
Site Admin

Well, I've spent as much time as I could allow myself on this piece (and I lost two or three days last week for various reasons). That said, I'm very happy with it. There's a few details I need to fill in when I produce the final game asset, but that's a non-issue. Anyway, here's the final pre-alpha concept for the Orbital Station...

Attachment:
NythianOrbStat_CONCEPT.jpg
NythianOrbStat_CONCEPT.jpg [ 775.86 KiB | Viewed 1749 times ]

One thing you might notice right away is the lack of excessive pipes, conduits, or other machinery. This was actually a conscious design decision. I began adding details like this and I started thinking, "these don't make a whole lot of sense." Really, if I were going to design a ship to fly through deep space as well as stay parked in orbit for an indefinite amount of time, AND there was the possibility of attack as well, WHY would I put critical elements on the exterior of the hull? I wouldn't. I'd pack everything possible within the hull and away from danger.

While not looking as visually busy as what you might be accustomed to, this makes MUCH more sense functionally. It also comes with a few benefits, too. One, it's less to model and texture. Two, geometrically it saves a ton of polygons, which is always good at render time. Three, it makes for more efficient collision. Plus, in all honesty, I like the cleaner look...

You can see that, for the aft Cargo Hauler section, I added a rotating crew compartment. If you read a response I made in the last post I talked about how internal gravity might be dealt with. I had the thought that I could do something like an artificial gravity generated under each floor of the largest ships (such as the station), and for mid to large ships I could do a more "realistic" rotation-based "gravity". Small ships such as fighters would be zero-G. I like the idea of representing different types, and the sim supports both types, so I decided to play with that idea here...

The red and green lighting around the hangar openings--basically: "Any red, you're dead. All green, you're clean". Just another quick visual reference for when you're trying to dock on the dark side of the station. The smaller white lights (not the RCS thrusters on the cargo hauler and bridge section) actually are a part of a critical internal function. If that lighting goes out, your ship (or your target) is hurting :)

So, another item checked off the pre-alpha to-do list. And, since I'm on a roll, I'm going to start on the final interior hangar design and get that knocked out. Then I'll do the final fighter external and internal concept. After that we're down to asset creation and a bit more code.

Anyway, hope everyone had a good weekend, and has a great week. I'll be sure to update soon!

Edit: The thumbnail on the main page links to a 1920x1080 version of this if anyone is interested...

08 Jul 2013, 20:25
Profile WWW

Very nice indeed!! And I agree with your design philosphy, all the extra "ornamentation" on the exterior isn't always realistic...look at the ISS!

Bravo!!

08 Jul 2013, 21:50
Site Admin

Thanks. Glad you like it :)

08 Jul 2013, 22:30
Profile WWW

wow, really nice keep up the good work, I cannot wait for the first release.

09 Jul 2013, 02:39

This is seriously impressive stuff and to think you did this single handedly makes it even more so. The anticipation keeps growing within me.

Keep it up man, but don't forget to sleep! :)

09 Jul 2013, 04:31

I am also curious as to what that large vessel is in the background is? Not the triangular one, the long one with the circle on it (almost looks like a target marker).....

Care to share!? Or is this top secret and been placed there intentionally to tease us?

09 Jul 2013, 04:35

Michael, since this is a concept, are the planets in the actual game going to be as detailed and realistic-looking as the one here? I know you haven't given a final word on whether or not planets will be rendered seamlessly from orbital distances to landing (not sure if you even said that landing would be possible), but can you make them look this good regardless of that decision? I mean, surely the cloud layer should be moving and morphing (at realistic speeds and in somewhat realistic patterns) so as to avoid giving the impression of a static prop after hours of gameplay (let alone the days, weeks and months that I look forward to be exploring in the game).

Nice work on the ship/station!

09 Jul 2013, 06:55
Site Admin

Lawkill: Nothing special there, really. I painted that and the triangular shaped vessel in about 20 minutes just to have something in the background.

Hawk: In theory, I should be able to get the planets to look like that, yes. My planetary shader allows me to mask and layer various terrain elements (so all planets look unique), and with procedural texturing (which I haven't added yet), I should be able to keep the resolution up as you get closer. I don't know if the clouds will morph, but they already move and change based on global weather.

09 Jul 2013, 08:29
Profile WWW

Sounds great! We might be referring to the same thing by "morph" and "change". I look forward to seeing more sneak previews of the planetary features, as they progress.

09 Jul 2013, 09:47

Michael, I'm really excited to see that you are sticking with this! Hope at some point ( the quicker, the better) you can gain some monetary "catch-up".

14 Jul 2013, 17:31
Site Admin

jimcarrel wrote:
Michael, I'm really excited to see that you are sticking with this! Hope at some point ( the quicker, the better) you can gain some monetary "catch-up".

Well, I'm always looking for ways to get this thing financed. There are still a couple options that could pan out if the wind blows in the right direction :) And if not, I'm continuing to work towards the first releasable pre-alpha and maybe we can do this "together".

In the meantime, hell yes I'm continuing on. I didn't spend all that time learning to program and developing a prototype to just chuck it all away. I'm WAY too stubborn for that ;) So, to that end, I'm about 1/2 finished with the hangar interior concept and I'll post that as soon as it's done. I'm very pleased with it so far.

Thanks... :)

14 Jul 2013, 23:23
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]